Go Digital to Recruit Students with Text Messaging
Text messaging will help you get and keep their attention on you, your curriculum and your opportunities for their futures.
One of the biggest challenges every university recruiter faces is getting potential students to pay attention to the information you send them. After all, there are so many options, especially for the students you want. Everyone else wants them too.
Text messaging gives you the advantage, especially with the younger generations of digital natives who already use messaging as their primary form of communication. Why?
- Digital natives read and act on messages. You can send them class information, videos, links to web pages and more and they will pay attention. Try that with email and they probably won’t.
- Texting is a natural conversation. You can interact immediately, answer questions, send relevant information and learn more about your prospective students. Texting is so natural that 50% of students say text conversations are just as meaningful as a phone call.
- Your students will appreciate you. Today’s incoming students are digital natives. They’ll like you and your university/institution better because you’re communicating with them the way they want to communicate. That helps you stand out from the crowd.
How Can You Use Text Messaging to Recruit Your Students?
When it comes to recruiting, our education clients use conversational text messaging to:
- Share information about your programs and curriculum.
- Invite students and schedule campus tours or calls with staff.
- Respond immediately to questions or requests.
- Connect prospects with other students in their school of interest program to have personal conversations via messaging and more.
Reach Out With Conversational Text Messaging
Let’s look at how easy it is to reach out and share information with prospective students. Say you’re a university recruiter for the business school. You’ve met a number of high school students you want to entice to your university’s programs.
When a student replies YES to the first message, they are automatically sent a series of recruiting messages for the business school. (FYI, for students who don’t respond, you can also send a slightly different message to learn what compels them to respond.)
For YES responses, you can send a variety of information in a multi-touch message campaign. For example, you can send:
- A personal URL to information on the business school, so you can track when they click to do research.
- A video of business school students talking about how amazing your school is and how much they learn, and have fun too.
- A link to a well-known professor’s latest book.
- Whatever else you think will be relevant and enticing to them.
If the student doesn’t respond to your initial information flows, you can send more messages with different content to see what attracts them to take action. All of these sends can be automated by your advanced conversational text messaging solution. You can learn what content compels them to take action, and then focus your campaign on that content.
Schedule Visits and More with Text Messaging
When the student takes action and clicks on a link, watches a video etc., the system automatically triggers a 2nd message a week later, asking if they’d like a personal tour of the campus, or if they have questions they’d like answered.
Follow-up to Visits with Conversations
When the student clicks on the link to submit the enrollment form, a new conversational messaging flow begins to walk them through the admissions process.
The Bottom Line
Messaging is the new conversation, especially for your students. They live and breathe with their smart phones.
When you converse with them the way they want, making it easy for them to interact with you, you get a leg up in their university selection process.
Plus, you get to focus on having conversations with students. Learning about what they need, helping them understand the value your school brings and recruiting the best students for your programs.
Create messages that guide students through the admissions process, from financial aid to housing, campus activities and class schedules.
Campus announcements, event reminders and emergency announcements are all easy to do with messaging – here’s how.
Get to know your alumni and build a relationship with them through text messaging.
ORU uses messaging throughout the admission funnel to grow enrollment. They’ve also seen a 90% reduction in no shows to campus events with text messaging.
Northwest University has dramatically increased student engagement by using text messaging to improve application completions, for lead generation and appointment scheduling.
Learn how I Want to Study in Australia, one of Australia’s leading enrollment brokers, used text messaging to increase their conversions by 35%.