Automate SMS Messaging in Marketo
Marketo is a marketing automation software that is used for Lead Scoring (Qualifying Leads) and Lead Nurturing (send emails and product updates).
Marketo provides the facility to integrate your Salesforce Data with its platform. This will facilitate the synchronization of your Salesforce data with Marketo.
Marketo Integration with SMS-Magic
The Marketo platform can be synced with SMS-Magic Converse enabling users to access the synced lead records from the Marketo lead database and send automated messages. Once integrated you can also search for new or existing leads on the Marketo Platform.
In order to integrate SMS-Magic with Marketo using a Salesforce task you need to fulfill the following prerequisites:
- Create an SMS-Magic account for the customer
- Provide the SMS-Magic Application Account ID of your Salesforce CRM to sync the data
- SMS-Magic version is 1.50 or higher
- Converse App is enabled for your Organization in SMS-Magic Converse
- Install the package in Production. To install the package, click here.
- Install the package in Sandbox. To install the package, click here.
Step 1: Create a Converse App Task
Create a Converse App Task that configures with Marketo for sending messages. Follow the steps below:
- Log in to SMS-Magic Converse
- On the top menu bar, click Converse App. The Converse App page appears:
- Click Create New App. The Create New App pop-up window appears
- In the App Name field, enter the name of the Converse App
- In the App Description field, enter a short description of the Converse App
- Under Object, select the object which you are using in the Marketing Cloud
- Click Create
Step 2: Create a Template
Once you create the Converse App you will need to create the template. This will be used while sending messages from Marketing Cloud:
- On the App detail page, click Add Templates. The Templates pop-up window appears:
- Under Template Text, type the text for your SMS template
- Click Save. The Template is created.
Step 3. Create Message Flow
Once the template is created you need to associate it to a message flow. Marketo uses this message flow to send messages.
- On the App detail page, click next to Set Up in the top right corner and select Automation from the drop-down. The Setup Automation Campaign pop-up window appears.
- Click the number of messages you want to add to the flow
- Click Create. The Add New message flow page appears:
- Under Template, select the template that you have created in the previous step.
- Under Message Flow Trigger, select Marketo
- Click Save. The app detail page appears with the action key generated.
- On the App Detail page, change the message flow status to Active.
|Note the Action key that is generated as it will be used in subsequent stages.Once the message flow is activated, you will also need to activate the Converse App status.|
Step 4: Create a Smart Campaign
A smart campaign is a workflow where you can define your criteria for calling the salesforce task. Follow the given procedure to create a smart Campaign:
- Click . The Marketo Home page appears:
- Under Marketing Activities, click the folder where you wish to create the Smart Campaign. The list of available folders appears:
- Select an existing folder or create a new folder
- Click ‘New’ and then click ‘New Smart Campaign’. The New Smart Campaign pop-up window appears.
- Select the parent folder within which you want to create the new campaign
- Type a name for the Campaign
- Type a brief description for the Campaign
- Click Create. The new smart campaign appears.
A new smart campaign will always display a default status of “Batch (Never Run)”. This indicates that the message will not be delivered when the task is executed.
In order to ensure successful execution, we need to change the status to “Triggered (Inactive)”. The following section explains the process to create the salesforce task.
Step 5. Create Smart List
- On the top menu bar, click Smart List. The Attributes appear on the right.
- Drag an option and place it in the grey area at the center. The pop-up window appears.
- Select the attribute from the lead database columns
- Click Add Constraint
- Select the relevant attribute, for example, New Value. The Attributes appear as shown below.
- Enter the values as required.
|You do not need to manually save your configurations. Once you move to a new tab the defined configurations are automatically saved.|
Step 6. Create a Flow and Schedule Campaign
- On the top menu bar, click Flow. The Trigger Palettes appear on the right.
- Under Salesforce click Task. The Create Task pop-up window appears.
- Enter the Task details as required
Subject = SMS notification
Comments = Action Key copied from Converse Apps Action. Example – PA-000016
- Click Schedule. The Triggered Campaign Schedule section appears.
- Click Edit. The Edit Qualification Rules pop-up window appears.
- Under the Run each person through the campaign flow, do the following:
- Select only once – If you want to execute messages only when a task occurs once. Subsequent updates in the lead record will not trigger the task.
- Select once every – If you want to execute messages every time the lead record is changed during the defined duration. For example, the messages will be executed every 7 days when the lead record is updated.
- Select every time – If you want to execute messages every time the lead record is changed.
- Click Save
- In the Triggered Campaign Schedule click Activate
- View Results
Once configured, all changes in lead records that match the defined criteria should execute the message. You can check the number of times the task has been executed under the Results tab.
Follow the given procedure to check if the salesforce task-results display correctly:
- Click . The Marketo home page appears.
- Click Database. The Database page appears.
- Under System Smart Lists, click All People. The All People page appears:
- Click People. The list of leads appears.
Search for a lead record.