Application to Person (A2P) Messaging
A2P messaging is a term for messaging that is sent from a software application run by a business to a consumer device. Businesses use these applications for marketing messages, appointment reminders, chatbots or virtual assistants, notifications, one-time passwords (OTPs) or PIN codes, and other messaging use cases.
By definition, A2P messaging is a one-way communication only, but we also have P2A messaging also where messages originate from customers’ devices(Mobile Originated) to business applications, and the most common usage of P2A messaging includes Opt-in/Opt-out, TV voting campaigns, competitions, SMS lottery campaigns, subscriptions, etc. Have you heard of P2P messaging? This is straightforward messaging between 2 persons on their devices using SMS or OTT chat apps
A2P messaging is also known as application-to-person messaging, application-to-person SMS messaging, application-to-person SMS, A2P SMS messaging, or A2P SMS.
Currently A2P messaging is popularly used for sales and marketing communication between a company and its customers, a few examples of current trends are:
- Two-factor authentication (2FA) to increase account security or verify change’s to a user’s account, typically by sending a one-time passcode to the user’s mobile device.
- Anti-fraud alerts are immediately sent to a user when suspicious account activity is detected.
- Companies support channels through applications like Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.
- Banking alerts on any event in customers’ accounts like debit, credit, etc.,
- IoT device alerts and notifications between smart devices, such as AI assistants and mobile phones
A2P messages are subjected to local messaging regulations of each country and these restrictions can have delivery implications that customers should be aware of, such as message filtering by recipient carriers or delayed message delivery.
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to guide you to choose a phone number, provider, and message template to maximize your delivery rates.
Note that SMS-Magic Supports A2P Messaging on different phone number types such as Long Codes, Short Codes, and Toll-free numbers. And Associated cost, messaging through-put, and deliverability are subject to the type of phone number.